[Cdt-l] Monarch Pass to Silverthorne update from San Gabriel

Dave and Cindy hikeon at surewest.net
Tue Jun 23 19:00:00 CDT 2009

Monarch Pass to Silverthorne
Some snow around the ski resort at Monarch, not dangerous, just might be post-holey. Tincup pass: limited slow on the approach, a passable snowfield on the south side.
Trail past Mirror Lake: Where did it go? I bushwhacked up and down the hill before going around, through the town of Tin Cup, and up a creek to road CO209
Note: If you end up in Tin Cup in the evening, you can stay there. Go to the store or restaurant, Bill will help you out, shower, laundry, bed, don't know rates, its either cheap or free... I would have, but it was 2:00 in the afternoon.
More snow stuff: Lake Anne Pass, north side is snowy, very snowy, but soft. Could be dangerous if you are there at 6:00 am, but there aren't many good camps on the southern approach.
Hope Pass: clear
Between Kokomo and Searle pass: lots of patches. North of Searle is a bit silly with snow, but passable.

The big one was Copper to Silverthorne, high route. Full coverage on north faces down to 10,600 feet! The first pass has solid snow on the south side, I needed my axe. Second pass is less steep but still snowy, no axe required. BUT! If you have been steering around any snow? Take the bike path! It took me about 9 hours to go 17. miles and I glissaded the north sides! Its slow, but Beautiful

Journal updates pending.
San Gabe