[Cdt-l] yellowstone permits

Mark Dixon dixon2mk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 19:57:21 CST 2009

The people in the central reservation office in Yellowstone are better
prepared to issue you a permit than if you appear in person at one of the
backcountry offices. In '07 I made the mistake of stopping at the Grant
Village backcountry office to get a permit (I was taking a few days off the
trail with some friends and was in the area). There was a considerable
amount of misunderstanding and phone calls before they finally issued me the
permit. From talking with others who used the call-in system, they had much
less nonsense to deal with. Oh yeah, they charged me the $25 reservation
fee, which I found out later I shouldn't have had to pay. I argued the
obvious catch 22 point at the time to no avail.
MD