[Cdt-l] digital cameras and lithium batteries

Chris Willett CWillett at pierce.ctc.edu
Thu Mar 5 15:53:25 CST 2009

Your friend doesn't know what they're talking about.

I shot for nearly 3 weeks at altitudes up to 18,000 feet in December in the
Andes with a Canon SD790 and didn't even come close to finishing off the
battery. I took about 300 photos and about 8 minutes of video. This camera
uses lithium ion batteries. Cameras with AA or AAA batts tend to do less
well. However, you should be able to get over 300 shots.

My other cameras (DSLR types) do even better with batteries and re-charging
in town isn't difficult as long as you commit to getting a motel room or
making friends with a shop owner. The first time I took a digital on trail
(http://cwillett.imathas.com/cdt/index.html) I also carried a spare battery,
but never used it. I don't bother anymore: The dSLR I shoot now (D60, D70
before) is good for 600+ shots before I need a recharge.

Suge