[Cdt-l] Go-Lite Virga rain jacket

Dave and Cindy hikeon at surewest.net
Tue Mar 10 13:33:27 CDT 2009

Melanie,

I know you didn't mention this one but I have the Marmot Essence jacket
which is very light at about 7oz.  I love it as it does keep me dry.  I have
had experience with the Pre Cip and it is not nearly as light at about 12oz,
or something close to that and it does not seem to repel the water as well.
I have the Golite Reed rain pants, very light, and they work very well too.
I am pleased with both articles of rain gear and have tried other brands
such as the REI Element too.  Still the REI rain jacket is heavier and does
not do the trick during rain over time from my experience.
My other thought was to use a poncho considering that you will perspire in
rain gear and this does cause a lot of moisture and condensation even though
you are trying to stay dry from the rain.
I would like to hear more comments about ponchos compared to rain jackets
and pants as I have no experience with them.
Zelda