[Cdt-l] Digital Camera Logistics

Todd DeLuca todddeluca at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 16:27:43 CDT 2009

Hi Wolverine,

I confess no experience with film.  That being said, digital is the
way to go.  You can take zillions of pictures, movies, etc!  On the
PCT, I started with a 4GB card and later added an 8GB card.  In Big
Bear City, I found a computer store that copied my (full) 4GB card to
a DVD that I mailed home.  I also picked up a tiny usb card reader
(SanDisk MicroMate Reader for MemoryStick Duo, 0.5 oz,
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HDU0Q4/ref=sr_1_6?qid=1236977591), that I
used once to upload some pics to my website.  But uploading gigabytes
can take a long time, probably more time than a library will allow.
Finally, when my mom visited, I downloaded (using my reader) to her
laptop.

A word of warning regarding Pharmacies.  I tried to copy my pics to
CDs at a Rite-Aid or something.  The woman behind the counter was very
nice and had NO idea what she was doing.  Instead of booting up a
computer and burning a CD, she was loading my pics onto a massive
printing machine that took over half an hour to (including printing
thumbnail sheets) "prepare" only a few hundred photos.  I gave up at
some point because I had no confidence that my photos would be
successfully copied and I was fairly certain that my movie clips would
not.

So what I'm trying to say is, do what other people said and buy a
bunch of memory cards.  Or get a small external hard drive and put it
in your bounce box, if you bounce.

Since it sounds like you are thinking of buying a new (or new to you)
camera, here is some more (unsolicited) advice.  Get a charger without
a cord.  Cords add useless ounces.  My charger (sans cord) is only 2.5
oz.  Get a camera with an internal zoom lens, e.g.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000M4KXIS/ref=sr_1_26?qid=1236979262.  My
external zoom lens needed plenty of babying to avoid clogging it with
dust.  Get one that does movies.  Get one with a great macro mode for
those blister close-ups.  And a 5x zoom to make that bear look closer
than it really is.  :-)  That's my wish list anyway.

Happy hunting!

Todd/Reason

--
Todd DeLuca