[Cdt-l] Border Patrol notification

Eric Whte ericshawwhite at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 26 13:15:09 CDT 2009

Last May while on the CDT in the boot heel region, I found the BP to be very  helpful. Even though they never asked me for any identification, they knew exactly who I was and where I was going. They even located another hiker for me - again without asking me many questions - they had followed his tire tracks down an access road to the CDT just west of highway 81 when I thought he was east of 81 near a shaded windmill awaiting my arrival. If you don't call ahead you can be sure they will stop by, say hello and ask in a very non-confrontational way if they can be of assistance. I would estimate that about 50% of the moving vehicles along highway 81 south of Hachita were BP, most of the others were ranchers & locals driving white pick-up trucks. Eric White more details on http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=7618 in the journal and photo sections