[Cdt-l] My 2008 CDT Deming Columbus Palomas Experience

Bruce L. Nelson buck at bucktrack.com
Fri Mar 27 08:24:05 CDT 2009

		I took the bus from El Paso to Deming, thinking it would be easy to catch the shuttle from Deming to the border. I asked at the Visitor's Center in Deming and waited where they told me the shuttle would stop. Unfortunately they were wrong. When I went back they were unable to determine where the shuttle would stop. When I personally called the shuttle service they also were unsure where and when it would be stopping! Finally I found out it was a moot point; the last shuttle for the day was over.

After trying to hitch for a couple of hours in what turned out to be a fierce sandstorm which closed the roads, I decided to start my hike then and there and walk to the border. I spent a night at Pancho Villa State Park in Columbus, which was a very friendly and clean place. After hiking to the border it took hours to hitch to Deming. While waiting near the border station, with numerous nearby Border Patrol personnel, I watched an illegal sneak across the border in broad daylight through the sparse weeds!

If I had it to do over again I'd verify where the shuttle office was in Deming and wait there and take the shuttle to the border.

Quoted fromhttp://dianegrogen.wordpress.com/2008/02/23/public-transportation-has-arrived-in-demingcolumbus-luna-county-nm/ For more information contact 575-544-9963, the transit office is located at 1313 North Country Club Rd, Deming, NM 88030.

Colter

CDT
http://www.bucktrack.com/Continental_Divide_Trail_Updates.html

Alone Across Alaska: 1,000 Miles of Wilderness
http://www.bucktrack.com/index.html