[Cdt-l] Calgary as gateway to the north end of the CDT

Alistair and Gail Des Moulins aandg at telusplanet.net
Fri May 1 14:18:19 CDT 2009

   There's been a lot of talk about trail angels and the actions of a few
that spoil it for many. We have appreciated being the recipients of a lot of
kindness from numerous people while hiking the whole PCT in 2003 and the CDT
in 2 sections in 2006 and 2008. (We resupplied at Dubois then hiked from
near Togwotee Pass to South Pass City with 12 days of food due to needing an
extra day to go round a fire in the Union Pass area and wanting extra time
to go up peaks in the Winds).
   We are not planning a long trip this year so will be around home here in
Calgary and enjoying some shorter (week long) trips in the Canadian Rockies
60+ miles west of here for the summer.
   Calgary is about 3.5 hours drive north of the north end of the CDT.
Calgary's population is now over million so there are (sadly!) more people
here than in the whole of Montana.
   From Calgary there are direct flights to places such as Seattle, San
Francisco, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Houston, Dallas, Minneapolis, Chicago and
Newark in the US. Also direct flights to London, Manchester and Glasgow in
Britain and Frankfurt and soon, Amsterdam in Europe.
   Last June we met one CDT hiker at the airport, she stayed at our house
and we took her to the border a couple of days later.
   We'd be happy to assist any CDT hikers prior to starting their journey in
June. Also we may be able to assist any CDT hikers who are considering
flying out from Calgary after finishing at Waterton in the fall.

Alistair (for Alistair and Gail)