[Cdt-l] cairnes

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Thu May 7 14:27:27 CDT 2009

I think part of the problem with cairns is that you have no idea what
they're there for, or which direction they point. Plus, the person who
built the cairn could well have been misdirected themselves, or had some
other agenda... In Colorado, nearly every hilltop or mountaintop has a
cairn on it... but that doesn't mean you need to hike there - if
anything they're just more confusing.

That said, there are some places where the trail is neatly cairned,
parts of central NM and parts of MT come to mind...

The bulk of the confusion currently on the trail is in southern NM. The
rest of the trail really isn't so bad.

The best thing you can do to stay found is just that - stay found. You
ought to know where you are on the map at all times. Most people get
misdirected because they put their head down and hike 5 miles without
consulting their map. Then, it's too late... They don't know where they
are, and have a heck of a time figuring it out. I've done this myself...
Also, it really helps to know things like how to use a compass properly
to orient a map, how to use your GPS (if you have one), how to interpret
topography from a topographic map, etc. I'd recommend this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Staying-Found-Complete-Compass-Handbook/dp/0898867851/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241724199&sr=8-1
There are other good ones as well...

Good luck out there to everyone!

-Jonathan