[Cdt-l] Mimbres to Grants Trail Report

Todd DeLuca todddeluca at gmail.com
Wed May 27 16:27:50 CDT 2009

Hey all,

Here is a nobo trail update for the sections we just finished, from 5/12 to 5/27

Really liked staying at the RV Park in San Lorenzo.  Ed at the RV park
and Julie at the corner market took good care of us.
Water in upper Allie Canyon was not flowing well.  Pretty water around
wolf 12.5, we got water around wolf 9.0.
John the lookout on Signal Peak is great.  Stop by.
Water in Sheep Corral Canyon, Sapillo Creek, Gila River.
No trash in Gila Hot Springs w/o begging, AFAIK.
~150 stream crossings of Middle Fork total.
Water in Snow Creek, north of Snow Lake and south of t-bar canyon.
Tastes smokey.
NM30 pt 7, some so-so creek water.
NM 30 pt 2, davis spring tub was dry.  no water.
NM 30 dutchman tank, decent tank water, like pine needle tea.
dutchman spring dry.
small water cache at cattle guard by intersection of FR3070 and FR94
>From there, take FR3070 ~.5 mi to get to CDT trail.
The next section is confusing.  Stay on top of the ridge, don't follow
the fence around to the north and let it push you off the ridge.  Wolf
warns not to miss the gate.  We missed it!
Got lost also in the burn coming down wolf tongue mountain.  In the
open burn by a promotory we were tempted westward but the trail goes
eastward.  Eventually we figured  this out, bushwacked down a drainage
and hit the trail, luckily.
NM 29 pt 5, oily puddle of water covered by heavy iron lid.
Todd Cienega tank water looked ok.
Water in Govina Canyon was clear, cold, great!, near wolf 12.8
NM 28 pt 1 aragon windmill tank full of water
NM 28 hw 12 wolf 0.0 had small water cache.
NM 27 pt 5 Valle Tio Spring had trickle.
Gross stock impoundments w/ water
NM 26 pt 3 gene's electric well had good water flowing.

Pie town north:
water in pie town
water at Thomas Ranch
water at NM hwy 117 at solar well
we had cached water at north end of malpais.
that's it.  some puddles.

out of library time.  bye
reason.

--