[Cdt-l] New hostel in Salida, CO

Melanie Simmerman jennylind50 at yahoo.com
Thu May 28 18:31:56 CDT 2009

For 2009 CDT hikers,
A really nice option in Salida, Colorado is the new hostel, Simple Lodge & Hostel (www.simplelodge.com), which is a lovely new hostel in the historic downtown of Salida. Very reasonable rates ($22/bunk; two private rms at $52?). Friendly staff and convenient to all hiker amenities: laundry, library, grocery, etc. Bikes available for guests, internet, showers and full kitchen. They have free coffee and pancakes in the morning. Good coffee too!

I am here recuperating from a broken foot (will resume my hike later in June) and Jim and Julie, the owners, have been fabulous. I can recommend this place personally.

Warning: June 16-21 the town will be overflowing.  There is both a bike race, then a river/kayak festival and rooms will be impossible to find anywhere in town.

Salida has great food. The last time I was here I ate in many restaurants -- all terrific: 1st Street Cafe, Amica and Moonlight Pizza, Laughing Ladies Cafe...Yum. Looking forward again to great meals!

It's not too bad a hitch from Monarch Pass. The hostel people will try to get CDT hikers shuttles back to the trail and can sometimes offer it themselves if they are not otherwise working at their other jobs.
Melanie, CDT 2009