[Cdt-l] harassment of hikers

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 2 11:50:28 CST 2009

One answer is to carry the BLM 1:100,000 maps. All land sections (or partial sections) shown in yellow are public land; all white sections (or partial sections) are private or leased. I believe leasing in BLM parlance is distinct from simple use of a grazing allotment on public land. In the former case, the only public rights-of-way are on county, state, or federal roadways; in the latter, you can travel, and generally camp, at will, the main caveat being that the rancher often retains exclusive rights to the developed water, and that camping within a certain distance of that water is prohibited.

When in doubt, call the BLM to confirm the accuracy and timeliness of the maps beforehand. If questioned by a rancher during the hike, stop, break out the maps (it helps to look a little puzzled and apologetic here), and let the rancher prove his point or otherwise.

blisterfree