[Cdt-l] water wells in New Mexico

Wayne Smith bumblefist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 10:51:43 CST 2009

After reading several CDT journals, I've got the impression that in southern
New Mexico, there is not really a shortage of wells along the CDT, just a
shortage of functioning well pumps.  Has anyone looked into the possibility
and cost of installing some simple hand operated pumps on some of the wells
that still have water but not a functioning pump?  I suppose that asking
permission from the person who dug the well in the first place would be
needed but since hand pumps don't waste water, leaving one on when an
automated pump is not in use shouldn't be seen as depleting a future
resource for the rancher.
Even just a few strategically placed pumps could really help out CDT hikers.

Just something I was curious about.

Wayne Smith