[Cdt-l] water wells in New Mexico

Jim and_or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 10 11:57:18 CST 2009

Whether the wells are working depends largely on whether or not there are cows on the range.  During very dry periods, the ranchers move the cows or sell them off, then turn off the water source.  I think that is at least in part so the wells are not useful to illegals.  When we hiked in '99 we saw a couple of wells that had been deliberately disabled on the Deming route.  In 2006, on the Crazy Cook route, the wells nearest the border and in the Gila Forest had been turned off a couple of weeks previously, when the cows were shipped out.

Ginny

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/