[Cdt-l] the Columbus route

Philip Hough nowhere_man97 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 31 14:47:15 CDT 2009

We (walking carrot and I) walked the official route this year from Crazyy Cook to Lordsburg and then to Silver city. We saw no people at all (a possible advantage) until about 20 miles north/east of Lordsburg where the trail crosses a ranching allotment on BLM land - public land but still a rancher there has the grazing rights.  Late in the day he and his wife came zipping along on their ATVs.  I expected the worst, especially as the route is one of a series of jeep roads and poorly marked. But when we explained what we were doing he knew about the trail and told us if we kept going the way we were headed we'd actually see a trail marker a quarter mile up the road!  Of course, he was still confused by the idea that it was too late in the day to make the next road and that we would camp out there instead if having someone meet us. We assured him we were OK. He came back later after checking on his cows and water tanks and offered that if we needed water he could open up one of the locked tanks. We didn't, but we thanked him.  It would be nice if the BLM and CDTA could negotiate a regular access to water with him. YMMV

Phil Hough
aka nowhere man

"Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand"  - Chinese Proverb