[Cdt-l] Brian and Martina in the Wind Rivers

Brian Dickson briansolar1 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 10 18:28:01 CDT 2009

Brian and Martina are in Pinedale now heading south to finish our CDT journey this year at Battle Pass WY. If we make it we will have hiked about 2150 miles this year and have missed the section from Battle Pass to Copper Mountain CO which we hiked in 2004.

The northern Winds have been our favourite hiking of the year. We took a number of variations from the CDT following some of the purple routes on Jonathans maps. We went over Shale Mountain and then an unbelievably great hike from there south to Clear Lake and down to Green Lakes. we wanted to stay on the divide, but thunder storms made our mind up to follow the Clear lake route which turned out to be a good decision. Lightning hit the ridge 300m above us with smoke and a rockfall. We went over Knapsack col and down Titcomb Basin and then deviated up into Indian Basin. The next day we took a day 'off' and went up the Winds 2nd highest point, Fremont Peak which was excellent.

looking forward to returning to the mountains in nice autumnal weather tomorrow.

brian and martina
www.aweewalk.blogspot.com