[Cdt-l] CDT Section Hike

david booth david.booth at internode.on.net
Wed Sep 30 19:07:49 CDT 2009

I completed my first Section hike on the CDT, 37 days Chama to Grand
Lake starting 25 July and finishing 29 August. A great hike.

I met a few SOBO thru hikers and flip floppers. Sadly I didnt meet
Freefall who I have met twice before by accident on the PCT.

I appreciated the friendliness of people at all stages of the hike.
Especially the hosts at the Simple Hostel in Salida,  a great place
to resupply.
The Shadowcliff hostel at Grand Lake was also a fantastic place to
finish the hike.

The reason I chose to hike in August was to get the best weather in
the San Juan Mountains.
While the lightning storms were daunting I actually only had three
days of poor weather and it was great to traverse the high country,
wild flowers and wildlife.

The trail was never crowded and the wilderness experience was
memorable. In the San Juans I was slowed down by stopping so often to
take photos!
For navigation I used Jonathan Leys maps and I loaded his waypoints
(Leypoints?) as tracks on my Vista HcX GPS. I had the Garmin Topo 24k
Southwest map on the GPS.

Thanks to all CDT listers who gave me advice and encouragement.

So the question is what CDT section should I do next year?

Aussie Dave
Canberra Australia