[Cdt-l] Embrace the Beauty

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Sun Apr 18 00:45:48 CDT 2010

Just wanted to send a message of good luck & best wishes to the CDT
class of 2010. May summer come early, and stay late!

A lot is written about how the CDT can be difficult or tiring, or,
well... brutal. But, I think it's important to remember the reason most
of us are attracted to the CDT in the first place. It's just a dang
amazing thing - a beautiful thing.  I consider many of the people on
this list to be among the luckiest on the planet. It's like we know this
deep secret, a magic that can be conjured with a million footsteps.

So, when you're out there...
Hearing the soft New Mexican earth crunch underfoot while the sun warms
the air...
Or, feeling the wind whip through your arms while you crest over an
alpine Colorado peak...
Or, tasting pure spring water below the spires and cliffs of the Wind
River Range...
Or, seeing a herd of Elk rumble across a Montana meadow...
Or, listening to a glorious nightime silence as the illuminated universe
spins overhead...

Just take a minute, be present. Take it all in. You're out there. Living
it, doing it. Manifesting a dream. And those of us who can't be out
there with you in the flesh, are at least there in spirit. I hope the
trail carries you far beyond the termini into whatever lies beyond.