[Cdt-l] feet

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sun Apr 18 11:43:29 CDT 2010

I've found a 2-part solution that keeps me blister-free.

1) Regular sock changes:

If going mostly level or uphill, I change socks every 2 hours. If going mostly downhill, I change every hour (feet slide around in your shoes more when going downhill. Wet plus abrasion = blister). These necessary changes also give me a valid reason to take a break.

2) Regular sock rinsing:

Wherever possible, I make my sock changes where I can at least rinse my "used" socks and wring them out before hanging them on my pack to dry. Convenient stream crossings facilitate this; the rinsing just comes BEFORE I take them off. Rinsing and drying my feet a couple of times a day helps as well. Shoes and socks come off for lunch. Feet get massaged and allowed to air dry.

Foot and sock washings are an end-of-the-day event whenever possible. Put a drop or two of Dr Bonners soap in a gallon ziplok bag half filled with water. Add socks and the day's bandana, seal and shake. Use the soapy water to wash the feet and calves. Rinse socks, bandana, and feet in that order. Air dry all. Keeps the sleeping bag fresher, feels good to the feet, and gives me clean(er) socks to wear the next day.

YMMV