[Cdt-l] Fwd: 13-18 AUG 10

ks1007 at aol.com ks1007 at aol.com
Mon Aug 23 11:22:34 CDT 2010

forwarded per trekker bobs request

el coyote
Keith and Mary
Trail Angels
Deming, NM

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Brewer <peektrekker at aol.com>
Cc: KS1007 <KS1007 at aol.com>
Sent: Thu, Aug 19, 2010 5:36 am
Subject: 13-18 AUG 10

CUMBRES PASS - WOLF CK PASS
. Over 150 trees dn on or across tr.
. Over 150 places where tr badly o'grown, @ least 25 pl tot o'grown - willows,
pruces, firs, branches over 1 in dia at times; this doesn't include o'growth of
lants other than trees or shrubs.
. Over 25 tr washouts fm an extremely heavy rain; some pl h2o created 1-3
idges of rocks & gravel on each side of normal drainage channel; ridges are 6
n - 3 ft tall; some are hard, stable, & can be stepped on; some are soft &
ollapse when stepped on. 1 channel is now a 3-8 ft deep, 4-6 ft wide
traight-sided mini-canyon across tr, where one has to go dnhill abt 250 ft to
ear a cliff edge to cross safely, or even cross; other places just lots of
ocks & gravel layered up across tr, up to 10 times width of orig channel; some
l streams spilled the debris into new pl a ways off of orig channel.  This is
ll S of Elwood Pass & N of Blue Lk as best I recall. The power it took took to
ile large rocks into those debris ridges is amazing.
. Lotta negative above I realize, but apparently no maintenance done for years
n what I just hiked. I don't know what CDT Standarda are, & realize resources
ay not be available.
. Never went even 10 mi w/out finding h2o, but 2-3 "sources" were dry or
nusable; lots of sm streams w/origin steeply up, close by, & no where near
attle, which I drank w/out treating; only used Steripen on 2 qts whole dist (DO
S I DID AT YOUR OWN RISK).
. Expect to find lots of those green to black pies on tr; prob passed 200 cows.
. Unfortunately saw no elk or bears, & less than 10 deer.
. The high grasslands are beautiful, & green right now.
.Got lucky, only real rain was @ night in Elwood Pass Trhd campsite.
0. All, please fwd to correct Federal people; SF, I failed to get email addy of
DTA CO lady onto my Peek (It's on my laptop in car in Creede.); KS, please post
n cdt-l.
Trekker