[Cdt-l] hiking alone

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 12:41:34 CST 2010

Despite what best practices may be, I will continue to hike alone.

Being solo, every feeling, sight, smell, and sensation is much more intense.

I am focusing on the wilderness....not my companion(s) who may be with me.

When I make a pilgrimage into the wilderness, I sometimes need to do it alone.

I want to walk off trail where other people do not go. See that alpine lake
nestled against the ridge and

sparkling in the morning light.

Reckless? Perhaps.  But I have the knowledge, experience, and (most importantly)
desire to be solo, to be immersed, to really experience
the wilderness.

"Only by going alone in silence can one truly get into the heart of the
wilderness. All other travel is mere dust and hotels and baggage and chatter.
–John Muir"

At times, I want to experience the wilderness with others. Share the mountains
with Adrianna; sometimes with other friends.  Show that vista that means so much
to me and share it with others.

But, I need to experience the wilderness solo at times.  And not have that
immersion at times would be more reckless for me.

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.twitter.com/pmagsco
http://www.facebook.com/pmags