[Cdt-l] See SPOT run...

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 22:58:52 CST 2010

I think you have missed the point.

More and more, people are saying "We should all carry SPOTs or similar"

>From various posts:

"If that hiker had had a SPOT, a compass, and adequate
cold weather gear along he would still be alive."

Really? I think the last two items are far more important.

That's why I call it a Dumbo Feather. The illusion of safety..when none is
really provided.

Not a crutch?
http://www.newser.com/story/72538/wimpy-yuppie-panic-button-irks-rescuers.html

Perhaps not for the core hikers who frequent these lists :-), but obviously for
many.

The real use is that it gives people back home the warm fuzzies.

And there is nothing wrong with that....If your significant other lets you off
on a hike by carrying the device, than that is a good thing.

But the implication being we all need this umbilical cord to be considered
responsible?

It IS how you use the stuff....but the 'stuff' is being mandated now, too.

And I don't like it one bit. :)

>From you:

"there's just no good reason NOT to carry a SPOT tracker anymore.
The rhetoric about SPOT impairing our backcountry judgment is all but gone from
the news,  and the 'crutch' stigma is fading. SPOT simply frees us from worry
over what our

loved ones (or generous folks like Keith & Mary, or other trail angels) might be
thinking.} "

Never mind the article I posted from a year ago...
Or the crutch stigma...
Or (falsely IMO) freeing our loved ones from worries...

I'll give you one good reason why I don't want to carry one: Because I don't
want to. :)

I don't want to be tracked. I don't want to have to ping "I'm OK" every day
(what if I forget to hit I'm OK? Will that cause the very
worry that is supposed to be forgotten?)

Why I should have to check in every 24hrs? Isn't once every 5 days enough?

Perhaps I am being irrational. And a bit silly. And illogical. And admittedly a
bit selfish.

But so is walking for 4 months in many ways.

I want the choice to not carry one. Not what society and culture dictates or
various shades of guilt tripping (I grew up Catholic..I know too well
the power of guilt tripping. Marketing has tapped into that quite well it seems.
;) )

Carry one if you choose.  But don't expect or think others should, too

BTW..as mentioned, the article is a mashup... But it was a mashup in 2008 as
well! :D

Paul "Mags" Magnanti
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.twitter.com/pmagsco