[Cdt-l] Run, SPOT, run---hiking alone and the culture of connectivity

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 3 10:35:27 CST 2010

The exchange about solo hiking is very appropriate on this CDT forum, as
it's quite likely anyone on a CDT thru hike will be spending a lot of
time hiking alone.  I couldn't agree more that there are times when I
really need and/or want to be totally alone in the backcountry.  It
gives me a sense of just how insignificant I am compared to the awesome
creation I'm immersed in that can morph into a zen-like trance where one
feels at one with nature.  It's just something you don't get when hiking
with others.  But, there is a "quid pro quo" of hiking alone----and that
is that there's no one but me to deal with the "what if" factor.

On the AT I carried a cell phone in order to stay in touch with my wife
back home.  I am glad that there's someone "back home" who cares about
me and appreciate that, not having years of backcountry hiking
experience both in groups and solo, they would worry about all the "what
if" situations that might arise.  The cell phone was only "on" when I
wanted to try to call out and talk to my wife or one of my daughters.
On the AT, it rarely worked.   AT&T service is not very good there--not
enough people (i.e. profit) to put a cell tower on every hilltop.  I
wasn't worried about an accident because I knew that during nobo
thru-hiker season there'd be a lot of people passing by over the course
of a day.  The phone was handy for one-way communications.  I'd instruct
people to leave a voice mail and when I got cell service I could hear
what they had to say.  That's how I got the message from my doctor that
the test showed I had Lyme, for example.

Even if I were working, I wouldn't have used the cell phone to stay in
touch with work.  If I hadn't groomed someone to step in for me at work,
then I wasn't being a very good manager.  Plus if the company for which
I worked couldn't deal with my absence, then they didn't have sufficient
depth of staff or a reasonable succession plan.  My friends knew I'd be
off the grid and that they could find out what was going on with me
through my trail journal.

When I decided to hike the PCT, I was concerned that there would be far
fewer folks out on the trail, particularly because I had an unorthodox
flip-flop hike plan  that took me away from the "herd" (sobo from Walker
Pass to Cajon Pass starting April 4).  With my experience of poor cell
connectivity on the AT, I needed something more releiable:  enter the
SPOT device.  I bought a SPOT device for three reasons: 1) to send my
wife and kids an OK message with the location of where I was at the end
of each day;  2) to avoid having to predict where I'd be and how long it
would take me to do a certain section (the "let someone responsible know
where you'll be and when you'll be checking in" appproach); and 3) in
case of a genuine emergency where self-rescue was out of the question.
I didn't want to be faced with a choice between death and cutting off my
lower arm.  I sent an OK message each day, and I instructed my wife that
once in a while I'd possibly forget to do so and that she should not be
alarmed if I missed a day now and then.  It worked well; every OK
message I sent made it through to my wife.  Thankfully, I had only one
dicey situation that resulted in a self rescue of sorts, plunging down a
snow-filled stream valley off the summit of Mt. Baden Powell as the sun
was setting when I couldn't locate the PCT buried and hidden under 10 or
12 feet of snow.  I made it down to the Angeles Crest Highway just as it
was getting full dark, but not without some souvenir road rash on my
butt from an "unscheduled" glissade.

When I set out on the CDT this past spring, I expected to be hiking
alone most of the way and that's what happened for all but a few weeks
of my hike (I only got as far at Steamboat Springs, but will finish in
'11).  I switched to a smart phone that I used to type my journals each
night and otherwise kept off unless I was on a mountain top relatively
close to civilization and felt I might have cell signal.  The smart
phone allowed me to dump the 3/4 lb Pocketmail that I'd used for
journalling and replace the weight with an equally heavy GPS.  The GPS
helped me when I "misplaced the trail", though maps, compass, and
knowing how to use them were more important.   I hate to think how many
times SAR might have been called out if the "responsible person" relied
on my predictions of when I'd finish a section of trail.  There was no
way to predict that I'd have a day in the S San Juans when I'd make only
1 mph while kicking in steps and navigating across snow nearly the whole
day.

I read Mags' essay on the culture of connectivity.  I agree there's an
expectation on the part of others that they can reach you and on one's
part that he/she can reach out to someone else if needed.  My whole
career was in IT and much of it was before cell phones existed.  I
remember support strategies for computer jobs running overnight varying
from "you have to stay home" to "carry the company cell phone".  I never
thought it was reasonable to expect someone to submit to these
strictures during his/her private time.  If I was home, I'd answer the
phone, but I would never "stay home" just in case.  If they couldn't get
me, there were plenty of other employees who could step in.  Sadly, I
believe my attitude on this subject represents a minority opinion.

On the trail, I carry and use electronics at my convenience.  (I know of
only one trail where carrying a 150g VHF Telemetry Unit is required
(Gros Morne National Park in Newfoundland) and this is for two
"off-trail" bushwhack routes.)  I expect to be responsible for my own
safety and security.  Nonetheless, should the need arise to contact
help, I want to be able to do so and I want to make it as easy and safe
as possible for those who might come to my aid.  That's my backup plan.
My main plan is to not need to call for help by being prepared and
taking only reasonable risks.  YMMV and HYOH.

Handlebar