[Cdt-l] Fwd: See SPOT run...

Mike Cunningham hikermiker at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 3 11:34:04 CST 2010

The animosity is not to the technology. It is to the idea that we MUST carry them and must always be available. I have a cell phone & often carry it on hikes. I sometimes even turn it on.

I have a gps. Once in a while I even use it. I also have a compass on my  watchband. When I hike in an unfamiliar area I almost always have a map. I almost always have enough with me to survive an unexpected night out.

I am personally amazed at people I see out hiking who have no pack, no map, and often no idea of where they really are. These are the people who call SAR for trivial reasons that you & I would hike out of.

hikermiker