[Cdt-l] Garmin POI's

david booth david.booth at internode.on.net
Sun Dec 5 19:08:38 CST 2010

Earl
Yes you can store POIs on the Garmin SD card but how would you intend
to use them?
You will have a huge file of points. With POI's you can only add a
"Goto" of a POI one at a time.
So which of the thousands of points do you choose?
With storing Tracks you get the display of the track superimposed on
your background map.
If you use a 1:25k map you get excellent detail and the little
triangle shows where you are now and the track is displayed.
The problem with Garmin is that most models do not store enough
tracks and allow enough waypoints on each track.
My Vista HCx only allows 20 tracks of 500 waypoints each.
My solution (not very elegant) is to split the CDT into Sections and
then produce 20 tracks for each section. I use GPS Visualiser
software (free) to split the tracks.
I find I retain enough detail with this method.
It would be great to be able to store a full SD card of tracks or to
store a single larger track, large enough enough for the entire CDT.
However the Garmin design does not appear to enable the GPS to manage
tracks in and out of the SD card.
If you have found a way to do this using POIs please post it.
Aussie Dave
Canberra Australia