[Cdt-l] Fwd: : wild horse roundup

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 25 22:52:57 CST 2010

When we cut through the rhetoric, we recognize that wild horses, while
not indigenous to the West, are nonetheless ancestral to western North
America, and that the land is far more suited to their style of grazing
than that of today's beef cow. Of course the BLM's notion of
"sustainable conditions" is largely an economic principle. The grazing
allotment is for the benefit of the beef ranching industry, and that
industry, subsidized by the BLM, gets to decide when and with what they
share their range. From their point of view, overpopulation is mostly a
synonym for economic threat. But of course from a biological
perspective, overpopulation by cattle is simply the devastating status
quo that is pushing the land to the brink, evolving it to shape the
requirements of an industry at the expense of native biodiversity. The
industry's defense remains that this status quo is necessary, because
the only perceived alternative, however false, is for the rancher to
abandon his relationship with the land, to give up ranching altogether.
And this false binary logic maintains a culture of permissiveness on the
part of BLM out of fear of damaging the relationship, of losing what
little faith and cooperation the ranching industry continues to uphold
with the government.

Had the wild horses of North America survived the last ice age, then
today we might be eating horse burgers and reading about how the
natives, skilled equestrians, successfully drove off the invading
Conquistadors and their cattle. Food for thought.

- blisterfree