[Cdt-l] Fwd: : wild horse roundup

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 30 01:58:13 CST 2010

Hey there! Great to hear from a rancher on the cdt-l, and thanks for the
perspective. You'll have to forgive me if that particular post seemed
biased, as the posts by others that preceded surely were as well. Of
course bias is unavoidable, especially on an internet forum where
there's a tendency to overdramatize our positions, and so to be
misconstrued, even coming across as a caricature sometimes. I apologize
if that happened here. However, I genuinely believe there is much common
ground between camps. I spend a fair amount of time hiking along the
Divide and thereabouts in New Mexico and Arizona and have met and spoken
with a wide variety of folks who live and work in the small towns along
the way, as well as out on the range. Invariably these encounters have
been worthwhile and informative, and the ranchers in particular have
been helpful and courteous. In turn, I have nothing but respect to
offer, and I try to make sure that this always comes across in person.

We can agree to disagree about the impacts of cattle on the land. I do
tend to think reality on the ground is a complex situation, highly
variable from place to place, and so not ready made for soundbites. It's
great to know that there are ranchers who recognize and treat the land
as a renewable resource, who are thinking and acting long-term, and who
are seeing that it makes good business sense to do so. I suppose as
non-ranchers, those of us who traipse through our public lands around
the Divide suffer from an unavoidable naivete, less aware of the good
management practices being implemented because they are simply more
transparent than in areas where we see negative impacts. I can certainly
cite areas where the latter is the case, and no amount of justifying the
situation will improve it. But I would like to gain a more balanced
perspective and to be able to cite more examples that would prove old
assumptions to be incorrect. You're finding me here, already heading
down this path, but still prone to cheap rhetoric of my own from time to
time. Just know that it doesn't come from a place of animosity, but from
a sense of connection with the land - granted a different connection in
some ways as my livelihood does not depend upon it, but a connection all
the same. I think this is probably the touchstone that keeps relations
between our two camps positive and constructive when and where our paths
cross out in the wilds.

All best,

Brett Tucker