[Cdt-l] Fwd: : wild horse roundup

Bob bobandshell97 at verizon.net
Thu Dec 30 10:43:37 CST 2010

One thing my wife and I really enjoyed while hiking the CDT, especially in
NM, was purposely seeking out conversation with local ranchers.  Being
Easteners, we started out with the usual environmental "righteous think" of
various  preservationist organizations. it seemed so logical.   Who could
argue or think otherwise?   It didn't take but a few conversations with
sincere, gracious landowners out west, even with the Chief Ranger of the
Gila NF, to clue us in quickly that there was a whole different and valid
way to experience and view things in NM.  We started out with a black/white
way of thinking and very quickly saw the many gray issues, with valid points
on both sides.

Ed says, " No modern  rancher would ever overgraze.In a drought, the feed
value of the feed goes down and the cattle lose condition, we always sell
off our herd during dry years."   In 1996, a bad drought year, as we came up
the road from Antelope Wells, truck after truck of cattle passed us, going
to market.  From my journal:  "William Hurt and his wife stopped and talked
a while.  He's the major landowner here. Among other things, he talked about
the incredible drought here - the worst in 23 years. Things have dried up so
badly the cattle have no forage and are being trucked out as fast as
possible. First it was for 17 cents a lb, now it's down to 14 cents."

My wish for new CDTers is that they approach with a smile, ask questions,
really listen, and learn to appreciate the different ways of thinking out
west.  Ah, I envy those getting ready to start out this year.  Make it a fun
trip.

Ed, you say, "You have a biased attitude toward cattle."  Uh, the only bias
I have is that every time I wanted to rest in the shade or put up our tent,
steers had deposited numerous "cow pies" exactly where I aimed for.  And I
do mean *every time*.   Of course, this only proves that they were as smart
as I was and had similar preferences and tastes.  My only revenge was to
enjoy a stop at Lottaburger in Silver City and eat a few!  J

Dr Bob