[Cdt-l] Bird's Eye View of CDT

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 30 13:34:06 CST 2010

Yep, Iceaxe, the AT is quite a different trail from the PCT.  There
really are a shelters every 7 to 10 miles or so, and there's a reason
for them. The eastern mountains get a good deal of rain.  Sometimes for
days on end.  That's what makes them so green.  One day in particular
stands out for me as I remember the AT in Virginia.  I was walking
through a tunnel of blooming Mountain Laurels and savoring the scent of
pink wild azaleas as approached the Woods Hole Hostel near Pearisburg
during intermittent afternoon thundershowers.

Plus, don't get the idea the AT is easy despite the lack of high
elevations compared to the PCT and CDT.  Its builders weren't much into
switchbacks.  Hah!  To get a perspective check out the early entries in
Sage's AT journal on Postholer.

Thanks for the verbal picture you painted of the snow-draped Divide.  It
makes me anxious to return this coming summer.
--Handlebar