[Cdt-l] Cdt-l Digest, Vol 39, Issue 38

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 30 13:43:50 CST 2010

I can vouch for what Bim wrote about responsible grazing practices.
None of the area I passed through on the Crazy Cook route last year
looked overgrazed to me, and I was always glad to see cattle because
that meant there was water nearby.  One of the favorite pictures in my
memory occurred when I set up an early camp a few miles south of
Lordsburg on a ridgetop.  I'd just spooked a bunch of cows in the draw
before climbing up the ridge.   While I was setting up my pad and
sleeping bag in the tent, seventeen of them lined up side by side about
50 yards away staring toward my tent as if to say, "What do you think
you're doing here."  Sadly they wondered off before I got a chance to
snap a picture.
--Handlebar