[Cdt-l] Cdt-l Digest, Vol 39, Issue 42

Brett blisterfree at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 31 13:05:58 CST 2010

> I'd just spooked a bunch of cows in the draw
> before climbing up the ridge.   While I was setting up my pad and
> sleeping bag in the tent, seventeen of them lined up side by side about
> 50 yards away staring toward my tent as if to say, "What do you think
> you're doing here."  Sadly they wondered off before I got a chance to
> snap a picture.
> --Handlebar

It seems they do this whenever the light is insufficient to know exactly
what you are and what you're up to. I've never witnessed this behavior
in broad daylight; in fact it's the antithesis of the "every cow for
herself" scattering that usually occurs by day. What's more, the cows
will actually follow you sometimes, if you're night hiking, always
maintaining a certain distance behind you, stopping when you stop,
resuming when you move again. I imagine it's a genetic thing, dating
back to a time when their wild ancestors encountered large predators in
Africa and Europe, etc. It may yet serve them well, particularly in
Arizona where mountain lion predations are sometimes a concern.

I'm curious as to whether rattlesnakes are a concern for cattle. Do they
respond to the sight or sound of snakes? What are the consequences of
snakebite in this case? The story goes that poisonous snakes evolved the
rattle as a form of advertisement to large grazing animals, in order to
avoid confrontation and the risk of being stepped on. But what are the
odds of a hiker ever getting to find out firsthand how such an encounter
would play out?

- blisterfree