[Cdt-l] Best Burger WAS topics...

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 5 17:30:28 CST 2010

If you are on the CDT-L, you probably already have your gear dialed-in (or should) if
attempting the CDT.

Last year, we had a very important discussion on the places beer are located. IIRC,
I made a great contribution with my extensive knowledge of brew pubs in the Colorado
area. (We all have our talents. Some hike long, light and fast. Others are whizzes at
constructing homemade gear. Me? I drink beer).
http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/cdt-l/2009-March/002675.html

So, let's discuss another important topic...where the best burgers are on the CDT.

My immediate thought goes to the Bertrams Belly Buster :
http://bertramsbrewery.com/node/5

In Salmon Idaho, this burger proves everything is bigger on the CDT: The views, the resupplies,
the amount of WTF moments..and of course the size of the burgers!

Lincoln MT had the Labmkins burger. I remember it being rather tasty. Nothing fancy, just a a burger done just right...
Ah.... (Medium rare. Bloody enough to be juicy..not so bloody it is still mooing)

Moving down, I had a memorable BBQ night in Dubois.  The Continental Divide was on fire (no, really, it was on fire..
also makes those stupid purity debates the troll on trailforums brings up concerning the CDT even more ludicrous..but
I digress). Rather than hike up to the divide and singe my rather prominent eyebrows (what can I say, I'm not a metrosexual,
and I am an Eye-talian), Tradja, Jess and myself stayed an extra night in town.  The local fire department put on a BBQ.
Buffalo was served in various forms...including burgers. It was DELICIOUS.  Of course, you really can't plan on this too well.
(Wait..why were they BBQing when the ridge was on fire ?!?!?!)

Now, I did not go to Pinedale with its brewpubs (I assume?), and my main town stop in Wyo was Rawlins (good Thai food!)...
but then I entered Colorado! My previous link gave a (partial) list of some favorite haunts for good beer. Good burgers
go with good beer goes together like salt goes with pepper, like oil goes with vinegar, like olive oil goes with marinated snails (
see above about being Eye-talian..and one from Rhode Island originally at that.
 http://thecuttingedgeofordinary.blogspot.com/2008/06/scungilli-snail-salad.html)  )

In the spirit of alternate routes and poo-pooing anon. Internet trolls, if you take the CDTA route over Flattop (really, really, really
nice I might add), take the side trip down to Bear Lake. Have a friend in say Boulder pick you up. Skip the terrible brew-pub
in Estes Park and go to Lyons about 20 minutes away.  Go to Oskar Blues and have my Favorite. Burger. Of. All. Time.
THE SILO BURGER.   A half pound of beef. Topped with pulled pork. And bacon. With pepperjack cheese. And hot sauce.
Order with sweet potato fries. Order the burger medium rare so all the juicy goodness goes over the fries while you are eating
it.  Mmmmm.... Many people in Boulder pay hundreds of dollars (if not thousands) to achieve enlightenment. I have found
it for $15 (order with an Old Chub..again, see above about salt and pepper/burgers and beer).  If hiking all day
in the backcountry and then having a burger with three different forms of meat, followed by a delicious beer, is not Zen
than what the hell is ?!?!?
http://www.oskarblues.com/restaurant/grill-brew

(I realize most CDT hikers won't do this..but I love this burger and it is theoretically possible to take the CDTA route on Flattop
and hike down to Bear Lake where some person who backcountry skis way too much in winter may be waiting for you. But I digress
again...)

Now..New Mexico? I am not sure about burgers. But you are in the land of mom and pop Mexican food  goodness! I love my burgers
and beers..but this Gringo-with-a-slight-olive-complexion-who-pronounces-Spanish-like-it-is-bad-Italian loves
the Mom and Pop  Mexican food. Cuba, NM may have been a,er, less than lively town..but man, all CDT hikers
know the goodness of their breakfasts. Man can not live on burgers and beer alone.  Good Mexican is needed, too.
(And let's not forget Pie Town. Pie with every meal. Including breakfast).

 I realize this post is not about what device will let me access Facebook so I can tell all my friends I am
hiking..or which stove will boil water the best for my Messy Gloppy Mess of Noodles or if the 1#15 oz sleeping
bag is better than the 1#14 oz sleeping bag or if chemicals are better than a filter for treating colorful cow water.

But, well, see above about if you are thinking of hiking the CDT..this stuff may be (Should be?) dialed in at this point.

So, I'll discuss the important things (Burgers. Beer. Mexican Food. Pie).

Or maybe that's about all I can discuss
with any real knowledge and authority? (See above about faster, stronger and better. Then their is me: I drink beer).

Not so seriously yours,

Mags
CTF 2010

--Thoreau