[Cdt-l] Hammocks on the CDT

Seth Schumacher eragon921 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 11:36:46 CST 2010

I've been getting a bunch of emails about using a hammock on the CDT.  I
used a Hennesy Hammock and LOVED it. Yes it was a bit heavy, 1lb 15oz,
but it was so comfortable it was worth it. While harder to set up
without trees in areas like the basin in Wyoming and the southern
desert, once you get used to setting it up using staked out trekking
poles it's not bad. Just like tenting really. You could upgrade the
larger rain fly/tarp and just use that when on the ground as well. I'd
get the larger tarp anyway. I just slept under the stars mostly when
there weren't any trees. You could bounce a hammock around the ground
dweller sections as well if you chose but the CDT is mostly hammock
friendly in my experience, even if you have to look a bit for good spots.

--
Seth "Osprey" Schumacher
President Willamette Outdoor Recreational Climbing Club
1-406-223-6336 | osprey at ospreysjourneys.com