[Cdt-l] Age and water treatment

Kevin & Gloria spkbeam at comcast.net
Wed Feb 10 12:20:13 CST 2010

Thought I would throw in my 2 cents. I was surprised at the age of last year’s class. At 46 I thought for the longest time I was the baby of the north bound group. The largest group I far as I could tell was mid 50’s up with many in 60-70 range. A few where 70. I sure hope I look as good and am as physically fit as they are when I get that age. Some of them could sure hike. Of course there was the late 20 some things but they were the minority.
As for water treatment filters and Aquamira seemed to be the choice. There seemed to be a bunch of us that got some kind of waterborne diseases from water last year. I was told I had giardia and a bacteria disease. The multi kinds of pills I was put on were almost worse than the symptoms. Did I filter all my water? No. Did most hikers I see filter all their water? No. I feel I got my bugs in Co drinking snow melt water up high. After 10000 miles of hiking it was my first time.  Good luck Special K