[Cdt-l] Starting dates for sobo

Jim and_or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 11 11:33:49 CST 2010

Lately most southound thruhikers have been starting around June 15-20. You'll have snow the first couple of

weeks, so bring an ice axe.  Glacier seems to be more amenable to early starts than they used to

be.  Years ago they would refuse permits that early, and I suppose they might do so still if the

snow was really high and/or the bridges have not yet been installed.

In 1999, we wanted an early start, and it was a high snow year, so we started near Butte on

Memorial Day and hiked north for a month, then took train and bus back to our starting point and

hiked south.  It allowed us to start a month or so earlier than we would have if we had started at

the border.  Snow and snowmelt were a problem, but we did get through, with only a few close

calls.

Ginny

http://www.spiriteaglehome.com/