[Cdt-l] HIKING PARTNER AND ADVICE WANTED

Jack Richardson jackrichardson at roadrunner.com
Fri Feb 12 12:45:12 CST 2010

Hi Buckeye,

You came to the right place for advice and will get lots of great
information.

I am starting out on the Columbus route on April 14th. I am flying
into El Paso, TX from Portland, ME on the 13th and bussing to Deming,
NM and will be picked up by Keith (coyote) a trail angel. Stay at his
place that evening and he will give me a ride to Columbus and the
border the next day.

 From all the advice that I have received you would be better off
starting in one of the starting points; there is Antelope Wells, Crazy
Cook and Columbus. Each has its advantages and problems. As you hike
north any snow (and there seems there will be) will be melting.

Having a car is a great advantage. My wife and I hiked the AT in 2001
and the PCT in 2007. On the AT we almost leapfrogged a vehicle with
another couple but decided to stay with a foot hike.

 From all indications there will a lot of CDT hikers this year. April/
May will only be NOBO hikers, although there may be some strong
individuals going south bound from Canada. Also check postholer.com,
trailforums.com, trailjournals.com, CDT group on yahoo, CDT group on
Google for potential partners.

Good luck with your plans! I hope to see you on the trail,

tumbleweed

Good luck on your plans.