[Cdt-l] Pocketmail

R Smith ronyon at comcast.net
Thu Feb 25 17:46:45 CST 2010

You can check out t-mobile coverage for yourself at
http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx?WT.z_unav=mst_global_cvg .
Generally speaking, t-mobile will have coverage in most reasonably-sized
towns, plus along major highways. In New Mexico, this would be I10, I25, and
I40. Cell towers along highways generally have a long range, and are capable
of transmitting up to 25 miles (this is a limitation of GSM, the technology
that t-mobile uses). However, the real limitation is the ability of your
device to transmit back to the tower, since your device has much lower
power. I would expect this to be at least 10 miles. When you're in the
mountains, range is anybody's guess. I don't have practical experience on
the CDT except Montana, where coverage was very sparse. -Ron Smith