[Cdt-l] My thoughts re: Postholer's CDT on Google maps

Eric Whte ericshawwhite at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 2 14:56:12 CST 2010

Maybe I don't get it, but isn't the purpose of a GPS that of an adjunct to show where you are in relation to Jonathan's and other maps? Granted, the GPX file will show Jonathan's single route, but will it show all the side roads, Forest Service roads, BLM roads, various trails and other locations you've wandered onto? Will the program allow the hiker not to carry Jonathan's strip map and all the other maps necessary to negotiate the CDT? For example, does the Google Earth map show 'street views' of trails (with or without grizzlies) in the Bob Marshall? Do the batteries required to run the GPS weigh less than the maps a hiker would otherwise carry? Maybe the map could be used as a trophy to hang on the wall after completing the CDT. Mini Mart