[Cdt-l] GPS and TOPO! ready files (based on Jonathan's Google, Earth file)

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Sun Jan 3 21:40:10 CST 2010

Just a few comments on this...

As Blisterfree mentions below, part of the idea was that anyone could
take the .kmz file I created and edit / personalize it. I originally
drew the kmz route about 4 years ago, and had only rudimentary tools at
the time. It involved a lot of exporting, reformatting and importing
data, and a bit of simple .kml coding.

Now, there is a great kml/kmz editor built right into Google Earth.
Anyone with a computer & the bandwidth (both personal time & Internet
speed) can refine the route, add links to their trailjournal, add
alternate routes, etc. etc. etc... The reason the route is more refined
in northern MT is because I did more work on that section a couple years
ago using the GE editor - drew the route more accurately, added
alternates, added a few placemark notes, and links to photos on my
website). I've had intentions of doing the rest of the route similarly,
but have had too many other priorities.

Thanks for all the kudos... I have to pass on a lot of that to all the
hikers who send back info each year. The maps stay fresh because of all
the feedback. Right now, I'm searching for the bandwidth to complete the
2010 updates... as a new homeowner who just spent the past 3 days
painting a ceiling and going completely stir crazy, I'm wondering how
exactly this is going to work... but I'm sure I'll get it figured out :-)

-Jonathan