[Cdt-l] GPS and TOPO! ready files (based on Jonathan's Google, Earth file)

Jonathan Ley jonathan at phlumf.com
Mon Jan 4 14:13:34 CST 2010

The Google Earth track is just a set of GPS points. You can overlay them
onto any map - either a satellite view in Google earth, or 1:24,000 USGS
quads, or 1:100,000 maps, or whatever... I don't know how Garmin sources
their topographic maps, but the resolution will depend on that, not the
track file.

As for the resolution of the track itself... that depends on how many
points are placed to make up the track. The section in northern MT is a
lot more "fine", the rest of it is rather rough. Also, just keep in mind
again, that this hasn't been updated (at least by me) for some time, so
there will be places where that track doesn't conform to the actual
route on the ground. I just did the .kmz file for "fun" and have no
intentions of keeping it updated regularly.

-Jonathan