[Cdt-l] Help Picking a trail

Sam Haraldson samh at samh.net
Mon Jan 11 10:13:48 CST 2010

> could tell us if we could find a good section of trail maybe 100-150
> miles long that has an access point somewhere near any stop on the
> Amtrak Empire Builder route.

Matt,

I would highly, highly, highly recommend you take the Amtrak to East
Glacier and pick a route of your choosing throughout Glacier National
Park and/or the Bob Marshall Wilderness.  You could feasibly walk 100
miles within the boundaries of Glacier, using areas like Many Glacier
and Polebridge as re-supply and be able to make a loop hike out of it
wherein you wouldn't have to back-track.  A good place to start this
research would be this map of the park:

http://www.nps.gov/archive/glac/images/bigmap.gif

Feel free to contact me off-list with specific questions as I lived
and worked in the park for two summer and have hiked about 75% of the
trails as well as a fair-number of off-trail routes there.

Cheers,
samh