[Cdt-l] Help Picking a trail

cicelyb250 at aol.com cicelyb250 at aol.com
Mon Jan 11 10:14:27 CST 2010

Usually you are right, but it was a grizzly..  "She" had been a  problem
bear for years.  She approached hikers and entered camp  sites.  Noise,
relocation, dogs all had been tried for over 4 years.   No zoo would take an adult
bear so the plan was to kill the mom and relocate her  two cubs.   Everyone
was very reluctant to do away with a breeding  bear, but I read the story
(local Montana newspaper) on the train on the way  home.  Didn't get much
national news but mom was killed in August.   Her two cubs were darted and one
died, but I think the other survived to be sent  to a zoo.  When we hiked
past the closed campsite, there was police tape  and warning signs all other -
we didn't linger.
The one grizzly I saw stood up and woofed at me, but ambled on.  Why  eat
hikers when there are all those great huckleberries.

In a message dated 1/11/2010 11:05:32 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,