[Cdt-l] Wet foot = Cold foot / vapour barriers etc

Andrew West mountain739 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 17 10:50:30 CST 2010

Hi Guys
Thanks for your thoughts on the vapour barrier / wet / cold foot problem
Its seems the consensus is to use

plastic bags and/or sealskins (or some similar material)

I must admit I was using bags in Washington when I was hiking with wet feet day after day. They did help me reach the next supply point but I guess my problems were made worse by using a non waterproof shoe. If I was using goretex runners with my big gaitors maybe my feet would have been a bit drier and not go so sore.
As to the cold water crossings I guess I will just have to do as before....grit my teeth...emerge on the far bank and do some silly dancing to warm up! Yeah a couple of bin liners could help here although may give more drag in the current?

One river crossing in the Sierra....early morning, I heard D&A crossing the water and Dan calling out in pain. I said to myself..'yeah what a sissy!'.....when I crossed myself, I quickly started calling out in pain......man that was some seriously cold water (and yes I am a sissy)

Best of luck

Dryfoot  / Andy West

http://blog.andywestactive.com/