[Cdt-l] Wet foot = Cold foot / vapour barriers etc

Marshall Karon m.karon at comcast.net
Sun Jan 17 13:38:51 CST 2010

Regarding non-river crossing with wet, cold, freezing weather: I found that
my shoes were really too small for the extra sealskins and normal socks.
Removing the socks and just wearing the sealskins left my feet cold but dry.
Plastic bags tore very easily and left my feet wet from perspiration - and
thus still cold. I still have not found a good solution. I think that if you
are consistently in cold weather, larger shoes, normal socks, and sealskins
might work.

Regarding river crossings - normally you need something on your feet to
protect them and give you traction. I normally remove my socks and inner
soles and go through with just the shoes on. If the distance is long and the
water very cold, my feet will hurt. It really is bad if you need to cross at
the end of the day and there is freezing weather. Unless you bring your wet
shoes into your shelter/sleeping bag (wrapped in extra plastic bags), they
will be frozen in the morning. And hiking in ice cubes is really is
terrible.

Marshall Karon
Portland, OR