[Cdt-l] Junco Lake Trailhead and a drowned sawmill meadow! J. Ley 22 update

sage Clegg sageclegg at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 3 14:09:43 CDT 2010

Hi Folks- I don't know if anyone else had the same horrible getting misplaced experience I did up at the Junco Lake Trailhead, but figured I should embarrass myself and admit it in a public forum so that others may not have to walk the senseless miles I did.
 You will come down a hill and cross a flooded beaver damed trail (hopefully not in a rainstorm after a long electrifying day, but probably..)and you will pop out at the junco lake trailhead complete with privys, and in my case 30 singing 4-H campers around a blazing fire. This is a good spot to camp and also an easy spot to make a wrong turn. I did not see the CDT disappear behind the ranger station cabin because it is buried under piles of bark beetle lumber.
  Instead I hiked the road and once I realized my mistake figured I would find the High Lonesome Trail where it splits above Sawmill Meadow. Unfortunately the map does not reflect that the whole meadow is now a reservoir and the trailheads and roads seem to be different to. I stupidly blazed on down the road and was well on my way to fraser before I convinced myself to turn around. Eventually I did find the trail again, but don't let this happen to you! Be diligent here on J. Ley 22!!! And be ready for downfall mania all the way to Grand Lake. I don't know how many trees I have climbed over in the last few days, but lets just say I feel like an ant in a game of pick up sticks for giants.
   Iceaxe is 100% right about Arrapaho Bay's Little Moose Trading Post! Connie is an absolute sweetheart and a darn good baker! There is also an awesome family that owns a little cabin just down from the trading post who has a son that is one of us crazy thru-hikers (he's on the PCT this year, but hiked the CDT last summer). If they are home be sure to say hi!
   Be well and happy trails!
Sage