[Cdt-l] Pinedale WY Info J. Ley Wy16

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Fri Jul 16 10:11:05 CDT 2010

Pinedale, Wyoming Outfitter info
Howdy Partners!
I have to let you know about Pinedale WY. If you are in the Wind River range Pinedale can be reached from either the Pole Creek or Senaca Lake trails on J. Ley WY16. Both of these trails combine after 5 miles to become the Elkhart trail which ends after 5 more miles at the Elkhart trailhead. This is a very busy trailhead and I got a hitch no problem even though it was early morning. Pinedale is 15 miles down a one-way road from the trailhead so everyone is either coming or going to town.
Anyhow, Pinedale.
The laundrymat is open 24hrs and it is only $1.00 wash and dry by the quarter.
The Great Outdoor Shop run by Rex and Linda Poulson at 332 West Pine www.greatoutdoorshop.com is the finest outfitter I have found in a small town along this trail. They carry Sierra Designs tents, Marmot sleeping bags, Ben's mosquito repellant, platypus hydration gear, MSR water filter elements, Aqua Mira water treatment drops, Columbia shirts, Leki and Black Diamond trekking poles/accesories, and Smartwool socks from liners to heavy weights. They also offer rides to and from the trailhead but at $35.00 I think I will just take my chances and hitch. Actually many of the folks in this store are on their way up to Elkhart so you might "Yogi" a ride out of here.
I am still exploring the town and trying to find a payphone.. Of course the one by the laundrymat is broken. That would have been too easy!
I am planning on returning via the Senaca lake trail and since I am continuous to the Elkhart trail head that makes the entire detour a net (minus 4 miles of CDT alternate between Pole Cr and Senaca) 16 miles. I can speak for the Pole creek route that it is a bit of a climb out for the first 4 miles but here is a stupendous view of the Wind River Range at "Photographers Point" just before the trail joins Elkhart.
Anyhow in case you are wondering this town has many restaurants ie. Wind River Brew Pub, Los Cabos Mex restaurant, China Gourmet, etc. Though I have yet to eat at any of them.
This is a busy full service hiker town.
Very compact town and easy to get around kinda like Grand Lake CO but a bit larger.
Ya know, I just might even zero here! Been craving eggs and milk.. I am gonna go find a dairy and a chicken coop!
Or maybe just eat breakfast at the cafe.
Anyhow this town is about 60 miles in from where you drop into the Winds Nobo (counting the extra miles to the TH) and I have figured about 110 from Togwotee pass.
Oh Yea, I am standing in the grocery, Faler's General and it is equivalent to a Safeway Grocery. It is really big.

Cheers-Iceaxe

HikeStrong2010.com Benefits Cancer Research
Sent from the CDT with my Peek