[Cdt-l] Glacier NP snow conditions

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Tue Jun 8 17:10:20 CDT 2010

I talked to Kyle Johnson, the Backcountry Head -  for lack of a proper
title, 14 days ago and yesterday. The 66% snowpack in GNP,  for the winter in
general, made it look good for a 15 Jun Sbound start. That  snowpack is now at
100+%! Several storm fronts over the last 3 weeks have dumped  lots of rain
at low to middle elevations, and lots of snow at middle to high
elevations, increasing the snowpack up high and creating lots of "rotten"/think
posthole snow in the middle. Spring has been, and is, cooler than  normal; skies
have stayed cloudy; and the snow has not melted much for  3 weeks, Kyle
says. Going-to-the-Sun road is still not open either. A GNP  Ranger I met in Pie
Town this spring also confirms that the high elevations are  still "plugged
with snow".
    IMHO, 1 Jul would be a better start date this year;  so, much to my
regret, I'll wait until then to start, losing 2 of my  planned 4 weeks Sbound.
I'll be calling Kyle back next Mon, and try to remember  to post what he
says. I still have to go out to WA to finish the PCT in  Aug, or I'd just keep
going in MT. According to a few posts, CO & WY still  have snow cover in
many places, and I just never cared to play the "guess  where the trail is"
game. Northern NM is already fairly hot, since it was 97 in  Grants on Sun -
and yes I know that Grants is at a much lower elevation  than nearby Mt
Taylor, but it will be 80's at 9-10,000 with that kind of heat. I  live in the
same Chihuahuan Desert.
    Oh well, even just 2 weeks on the MT CDT is sorta  on the way to the WA
PCT isn't it? The other problem now is a week driving up  there & getting
into Canada, and 2 weeks Sbound, leaves me at Benchmark  Ranch - a poor place
to get out of and in to. Ain't no good answers for me  this year.

Bob  "Trekker"
Big Bend  Desert Denizen, and...
Naturalized Citizen - Republic of  Texas

"Government cripples you, then hands you a crutch and says, 'See,  if it
wasn't for us, you couldn't walk.' " -- Harry Browne

"If you think  health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it
costs when its free."  -- P J O'Rourke