[Cdt-l] Snow on the Waterton route?

Jack Haskel norcalhiker at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 13:17:12 CDT 2010

So... with this discussion. What is the Highline Trail and the Waterton route actually like with early season snow? Anyone have photos? Experience? My impression is that it's not just difficult, but quite dangerous. I've seen a few photos of the trail passing over exposure and cliffs. I imagine that if it was covered in snow, it'd be so dangerous that few would pass. Some of the passes look steep. Would one need to frontpoint up and down them? I've hiked through lots of spring snow. I don't mind the difficulty, it's the danger that puts me off.

Anyone know what it's like?