[Cdt-l] Glacier weather

Jack Haskel norcalhiker at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 21:10:21 CDT 2010

DnA says that we're "bad ass". Are we? We're reading magazines and
enjoying hot chocolate at St. Mary Lodge. Awesome.

Ten or so of us, "the herd" are here. Today was BRUTAL. We went from
Many Glacier, over Peigan Pass and down to Going to the Sun Road. It
rained steadily all day. Except when it snowed. The old snow pack
started way earlier than we expected. Then we went up, and into the
falling snow. Pretty limited visibility, scary, sketchy conditions.
One turned around. The rest followed via GPS. On the windward side,
new snow was about 3-4 inches. On the leeward side, drifts up to 3
feet. Slabby snow, easily slid on the old layer. Tracks were covered
in twenty minutes. I'm not terribly knowledgeable about avalanche
conditions, but I'd rate it as HIGH. We used safe travel protocol as
much as possible and to our ability. Snow and rain will continue. I'm
very concerned about CDTers on the passes right now. Sure a fall would
be bad, but an avalanche is a real possibility. The newspaper reported
one only a few days ago, and the conditions have deteriorated
considerably. Most, if not all of us, are back on the trail tomorrow
however. We've got a flat day tomorrow in 100% rain. Then our next big
pass the next day in 60% chance. I tweaked my knee, and might take
time off.

       It won't happen to me,

                     Jack   -- outside365.com

On 6/16/10, stumpknocker <stumpknocker at gmail.com> wrote:
> *Mrs Gorp and I came down into Many Glacier yesterday on the Chief Mtn
> route.  We started on the 13th to three days of beautiful weather. We went
> into the ranger's station and saw the forecast for the next two days, so Mrs
> Gorp stuck her thumb out and we're "embracing the brutality" from a motel in
> East Glacier.  We had our permits rescheduled for Friday out of Many
> Glacier.
> At this elevation it would be miserable....41 degrees and raining.  The
> ranger's forecast was for 34 and rain with up to 30 to 40 mph gusts in the
> mountain passes today and tomorrow.
> I'm having spaghetti tonite.  :-)
> *
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Jonathan Ley <jonathan at phlumf.com> wrote:
>> Any update from the "June 15th-ers"? Looking at the weather forecast,
>> seems
>> it'd be a good idea to wait until Friday when instead of rain, the
>> forecast
>> is for "chance of showers"... Not good to start the cdt in rain... In
>> addition to being wet, you can't see those amazing GNP mountains :-). Good
>> luck to all who might be gathered in east glacier!
>> _______________________________________________
>> Cdt-l mailing list
>> Cdt-l at backcountry.net
>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/cdt-l
> --
> --
> _
> -_-_-_-_-     _ o
> _-_-_- _  _-\<,_
> -_-_--- _(_)/  (_)   Stumpknocker

More information about the Cdt-l mailing list