[Cdt-l] Leadville Beta

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Sun Jun 20 18:16:32 CDT 2010

Howdy CDT'ers!
I just rolled in to Leadville and wanted to let y'all know about some changes and some really cool stuff.
The changes being that unfortunately Bill's Sport shop which had been around for 60 years is gone.
Buckhorn Sports is ammo and heavy coleman gear.
But the ray of sunshine is: Sawatch Backcountry 460 Harrison ave Leadville Co PH 719-486-2271
This place is like a mini-REI... Well you might not know what REI is.. So think of it as a "hip" outdoor store.
They are small but they carry the kind of junk us Long Distance Hikers use.
I also want to say that the Leadville Hostel on 7th and Alder is everything and more than promised.
They offer free internet (with computer) to CDT hikers! There is laundry on site for $1.25 wash 1.25 dry. They have hiker clothes for us so we don't gotta go naked (Kathy and Bill know how we are) and the place has 2 huge tv rooms(If you watch that stuff).
We are talking about a two level mega-hostel with a full kitchen... Crikey this place is amazing!
Anyhow Leadville is an awesome town and despite not being able to find a pasty I was able to find a "Crocodile" Pizza at High Mountain Pies on 4th street.
Hitching was easy from Tennesee pass but it was a Sunday for me so I can't really say. I will say this is definitely a worthy townstop!
Cheers My Friends!-Iceaxe
HikeStrong2010.com Benefits Cancer Research
Sent from the CDT with my Peek